Together with Microsoft, the Cyber Media center has come up with a notification and visualization system to help reduce energy consumption costs. Along with proof of concept experiments, this project has been termed the [Osaka University CMC Green IT Project]
Through the cooperation of Microsoft, we were able to give users access to their energy usage data via digital signs and a portal site. Through these forms of communication, our goal was to improve consciousness of students and faculty with regards to energy consumption of air conditioning, lighting, and computing systems. With these interfaces, Osaka University has moved towards more effective management of its power consumption.
- Haruo Takemura, Osaka University, Cybermedia Center, Infomedia Education Research Division, Professor
- Tomohiro Mashita, Osaka University, Cybermedia Center, Infomedia Education Research Division,Lecturer
- Kazuhisa Kumano, Microsoft, Public Center Marketing, Department Manager
- Takeshi Maki, Microsoft Public Center Marketing, Solution Specialist
- Mihoko Nishijima, Microsoft Public Center, Academic Program Manager
- 2010/12/8 Ubiteq news release:[Osaka University Green IT Project] has accepted BX-Office
- 2010/12/7 Project web page goes public
- 2010/12/7 Press release, which can be found here.
- 2010/12/1 Energy visualization portal site opened. (Note that a user ID and password are required for the portal site.)
- 2010/9/17 Cyber Media Center (Toyonaka Educational Training Center) Energy Consumption Monitoring opened.
News and Releases
- 2010/12/8 Nikkei Industrial Newspaper: Energy consumption visualization experiment – Osaka University and Microsoft promote low energy consumption
- 2010/12/8 Industry Daily Issue Newspaper: Osaka and Microsoft – Saving Energy – Proof of concept experiment using educational information technology
- 2010/12/7 MYCOM Journal: Microsoft and Osaka University – Green IT proof of concept experiment – Can reduction in energy usage be obtained through visualization of energy consumption?
- 2010/12/7 PC Watch Osaka University and Microsoft: A proof of concept experiment testing whether IT energy consumption can be reduced through visualization
- 2010/12/7 ITpro: Microsoft and Osaka University: Campus energy consumption reduction through a proof of concept experiment on visualization
- 2010/12/7 MSNSankei News: Microsoft / Osaka University, Energy consumption visualization experiment
- 2010/12/7 CNET Japan: Osaka University energy consumption visualization proof of concept experiment – A collaborative effort between Microsoft and Osaka University
- 2010/12/7 BIGLOBE News: Osaka University internal energy consumption, IT visualization = A cooperation between Osaka University and Microsoft
- 2010/12/07 RBB TODAY: Microsoft and Osaka University CMC, Start of an experiment related to IT energy consuption visualization